I love everything that Nigella creates. Here is her delicious Lemon Syrup Loaf cake that is great for any occasion (housewarming gift, farewell, retirement, picnics, get well…. absolutely anything!)
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook: 40-45 minutes
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon butter, softened
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
1. Position the rack at the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add lemon zest and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Don’t worry if the mixture begins to curdle.
3. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk. Mix until all ingredients are just combined.
4. Pour batter into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
5. In the last 20 minutes of baking, prepare lemon syrup by dissolving icing sugar in lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Do not let it boil.
6. When the loaf is done, puncture it everywhere and let it rest for 5 minutes. Spoon lemon syrup all over the cake. Let it cool completely in the tin before transferring to a serving platter.